Shopping goes truly mobile
Debenhams becomes first high street retailer with complete mobile package
Debenhams is today announcing the launch of its new mobile-enabled site, allowing customers to access the website and shop on their mobiles, as and when they need, becoming the first on the high street to offer a complete mobile package across all mobile technologies.
This follows a clear demand from customers with traffic from the Debenhams website accessed from mobile phones increasing by a massive 225% from August 2011 compared to the same time last year.
Complimenting the existing Debenhams app on the iPhone, Android and Nokia as well as an iPhone app for the Beauty Club loyalty scheme, the new m-site means that Debenhams is now fully mobile – with a mobile offering suitable for every handset available on the market and the first high street retailer to offer a complete range of mobile offerings - combining mobile apps and a designated mobile site.
The mobile site was developed entirely in house, the new m-site offers the full functionality of the website including store locations and opening hours when on the move, customers can also watch Debenhams TV through YouTube as well as become a fan on Facebook through the mobile site.
Simon Forster, Director for Debenhams.com says, “Mobile continues to form a large part of our digital strategy, as an area which shows no sign of slowing down. We have seen a clear demand for shopping on the go. The addition of the msite to our mobile offering means that no customer is excluded.”
Debenhams is also championing new technology linked to smartphones, with the addition of initiatives such as Aurasma, bringing together TV and print media, and virtual shopping with the integration of QR codes into smaller stores in order to extend the range on offer.
In the first six months, the Debenhams iPhone app has been downloaded over 500,000 times and has taken over £1million in sales.
Notes to Editors:
Notes to Editor
• Debenhams’ mobile site can be found at m.debenhams.com
• For more information please go to www.debenhams.com/mobile
• Debenhams is a leading department stores group with a total of 167 stores in the UK, Republic of Ireland and Denmark.
• It offers a wide range of products across womenswear, menswear, childrenswear, lingerie, accessories, health and beauty, homeware and gifts.
• Trading from over 12 million square feet of space, Debenhams employs nearly 29,000 people. In addition, it has 61 international franchise stores in 24 countries around the world.
• Debenhams customer offer encompasses a unique combination of own brands, international brands and concession brands.
• Own brands comprise own label brands - such as Red Herring, Mantaray, Maine New England, Debut and Bluezoo.
• Designers at Debenhams, an exclusive portfolio of diffusion brands from internationally known fashion designers includes lines from Jeff Banks, Jasper Conran, John Rocha, Henry Holland, Betty Jackson, Julien Macdonald, John Rocha, Ben de Lisi, Erickson Beamon, Lisa Stickley, Eric Van Peterson and Matthew Williamson.
• Ranges from Jonathan Saunders, Jonathan Kelsey, Roksanda Ilincic and Preen are also available in the newly introduced Edition boutique in selected stores.
• Debenhams’ online store is available at www.debenhams.com.